April 26, 2015
Elbert County (GA)
The guidestones just outside of Elberton, GA are always a great place to stop, and today, nobody was there but us!
Here is the story of this bizarre roadside attraction:
In June 1979, a stranger going by the name of R.C. Christian showed up at a granite company in Elberton,GA wanting to construct an edifice to transmit a message to mankind, offering guidance to humanity. Erected in March 1980, this granite monument known as The Georgia Guidestones or The American Stonehenge sits on a hill approx. 10 miles north of Elberton. Its four giant stones have astronomical features and are engraved on both sides with the following 10 Guides, or commandments, in eight different languages (English, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese and Russian):
1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
10.Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.