Sunday, April 28, 2013

Florida-Bound

April 7, 2013
Camden County, GA

For our annual Spring road trip, I decided to take U.S. 301 from Orangeburg, SC down to Folkston, GA. The plan was to spend the night in Jesup but I couldn't find the motel for the life of me, and Jesup didn't have too much photographic appeal, so we left U.S. 301 and crossed over to Brunswick, GA, and continued down U.S. 17 to Florida the next day.

Here we are at the Georgia-Florida state line, the St. Mary's river. Tessa is looking over to the Sunshine State, which didn't have much sunshine for us that day, but I always wanted to visit Fort Clinch so we continued on to Fernandina Beach. An hour later we arrived at the gate to Fort Clinch State Park, and were assured that dogs were allowed around the fort, just not inside the fort. Sadly, after we arrived at the entrance to the fort grounds, with the fort located out of sight somewhere behind the dunes, we were told that dogs were only allowed in the parking lot. Well, that is just dumb. Why would anyone pay $ 4 to walk the dog in a parking lot? I don't leave my dog in the car unattended, and definitely not on a humid day, so we left. We never even saw the beach much less Fort Clinch. 

That was Tessa's first exposure to Florida. I would like to try again one day but I do remember now that it is much less dog friendly than Georgia and South Carolina, so more research is needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment