Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Whoa

March 4, 2010
Sandy Creek Park, GA

It's spring, and the birds are back...Tessa watches them settle on the field in dog park no. 3. I use the opportunity to practice the "whoa". We are slowly working our way up to 15 minutes using a variety of distractions. Instead of releasing her, I sometimes simply heel her away in the other direction. The off-leash heel is going well.

Not having access to birds much, we do what we can in the park. Our new sequence is a 5-minute whoa with distractions; I then toss her tennis ball into the woods, but keep her in the "whoa" for another minute or so. If I have a plastic bag with me, I blow it up and pop it after tossing the ball so as to simulate a gun shot (starter pistols are not allowed in the park) - works well enough. I then release her and ask her to fetch the ball. Hopefully this will teach her the sequence of whoa - bird flying - gunshot - her marking where the bird falls - waiting for the release - locating and fetching the bird. Of course we will need to see how this translates into the bird field.


No comments:

Post a Comment