Sunday, March 28, 2010

Season Opener

March 14, 2010
Jersey, GA

First time on birds since December 6, and it looks like her obedience skills are finally oozing over into the field.

This was just a post-hunt test fun run. The birds were pretty bad, some just huddling, some walking, not many flying. I had to make sure she didn't grab one and run off with it - big no no! Was able to whoa her in situations where that was unthinkable last fall, and also heeled her out of a whoa and away from an injured bird. She did not run off into other people's fields - well, she tried, but responded to my recall - and at the end she heeled off-leash all the way back to the car - THAT was a first, it was always such a struggle to get her out of that field.

Lots of work ahead but I think I have my foot in the door.

Weather was dismal, very cloudy, no light. It even sprinkled when I took this photo - one of only two for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment