Sunday, February 21, 2010

We Got Snow!

February 12, 2010
Athens, GA (Clarke County)

They announced it, and it came. At 2 p.m. we had the first flurries and by 3 p.m. they turned into big flakes. UGA closed down at 3:30 p.m. so we all got an early start to what for me would be a wonderful weekend. I went home, grabbed the dog and went for a walk in the snow that was now accumulating fast. By the time we made it to Lake Herrick the snow was already 2" deep and kept on coming. We had the entire field to ourselves and Tessa had a blast! I love snow and could not believe my luck, so at around 5 p.m. I decided I should really take some pictures but I had not taken my camera for fear it would get wet. Well, we walked home to get the camera and an umbrella, then DROVE back to the field - one of last the few cars driving. Road conditions were fine, no ice, just a lot of slush.

When we got to the field, three guys were busy building a snowman. I asked them if they'd mind my dog sharing the field, and they didn't. Strangely, Tessa didn't bother to "help" them with the snowman and stayed with me at the far end. When we later walked over to inspect the creation, she pointed it, but was not impressed.

We kept losing the tennis ball which got wrapped in snow and remained well hidden in all that white. It didn't matter - Tessa ran for the sheer joy of running. A little later, a nice Irish woman joined us with her old dog. At around 6 p.m. we drove home, as the roads were definitely getting a little tricky.


It continued to snow until 10 p.m. I estimate we got about 6 inches.



No comments:

Post a Comment